The Northern Regional Sports Development Committee paid a working visit to the Paramount Chief of Tolon Traditional Area, Major (Retired) Sulemana at his palace on Wednesday, 26th January, 2022.
The visit was to pay homage to the Chief and seek for his blessings ahead of the commencement of work in his district in sports regards.
The committee chairman, Professor Seidu Alhassan outlined the mission of the the committee. He indicated that the committee is to identify, develop and encourage young talent through organizing annual sports festivals.
Prof Seidu used the opportunity to introduce the committee members to the chief as follows:
1. Prof. Seidu Alhassan (Former Pro-Vice Chancellor – UDS) – Chairman
2. Dr. Peter Attifuah (Regional Director, GES) – Vice Chairman
3. Madam Salamatu Alhassan (Sports Director) – Member
4. Mr. Muazu Abdulai Choo – Member
5. Madam Suzy Fati Braima (Headmistress BISCO) – Member
6. Alhaji Abdul-Manan Baʒini (Headmaster Islamic SHS) – Member
7. Mr Apanye Sandow (Regional PE Coordinator) – Member
The Paramount Chief of Tolon traditional area in his address indicated that sports had been his favorite during his days at the military. “I played football, hawkey, Polo and volleyball and so sports is my favorite” he stated
He lamented how sports has gone down in the schools. “When you look at what happened in the past and what is happening now, is very sorrowful” Nyab’ Tolon Naa added.
He urged the committee to be firm and impartial but cautioned to avoid including politics in their operations. He noted that the major problem in Ghana now is politics.
Naa Sulemana encouraged the committee to always seek for help from whoever they think can help in developing sports in Northern Region and beyond. He informed the committee of his outfit partnership with the MP for Tolon for modern stadium in the district.
He assured the committee of his full support.
By: Musah Abdul-Rahim